Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Too Tired to correct typos...will explain the pics 2morrow!

Hello family,
I know,I know..this is going to be a long one so you may
need to read it in parts....

First check out my table at my friend Wandas' sister's house a couple weeks ago..I had a ball selling stuff i don't even look at anymore. I will be doing more yard sales in the future.I really have a good time selling my "stuff". :)


I must tell you,before I get started on Bulgaria and the
Emmy's, I have just signed a new record deal today. It's a transitional piece of work that I am really excited about.

Next summer,I turn 40 years old,and plan to have a HUGE birthday celebration...(it's also my 15th year singing with Incognito)..anyway,the next cd that I release (after this transitional one ) will be one that is a life-changing,musical style changing metamorphosis of mind body spirit and music!

When I turn 40 it will mark my 34th year of being consumed by the desire to live my life as a storyteller through words and music.

Recently,the head of one of the "majors",told my manager that there was nothing there for me,even though he really respected my work.I must admit that "I "went there",getting all upset,trying to make it personal like i usually do,but this time the pain of rejection only lasted two days.


One,because I have tried to hold on to my theory of the
'Law of Attraction'and wanted to remain positive.Secondly,because I have a wonderful group of family and friends who take turns either cussing people out with me,or telling me straight to my face."GET OVER IT!"It's a wonderful yin and Yang and it helps me face reality much faster than before.And thirdly,because I got the call for this Transitional record a few days later! :) How awesome is that.The Law of Attraction REALLY WORKS!

So anyway,I am so excited about this project,but i can't tell you anymore about it because I want it to be sort of a surprise...it should be released in January,and hopefully my metmorphosis record will be released after my birthday..plus i will be promoting Incognito's new record in the states in 2006....Y'all..if I don't get great publicity with all this music coming out..I don't know what else to do.

One thing that I will be doing to promote my music next year is to do small club dates in alot of cities,tour like the old school days...

Okay..enough of that...

I had a nice time in Bulgaria with Incognito.
It was weird flying all over the place to do that one

gig,but boy what a gig it was!!!

Because I had to be back in LA on the 17th to go to the EMMY AWARDS,I had to take a train from Baltimore to Newark NJ,fly from Newark to London,London to Bulgaria,then on the Saturday before the awards,I flew from Bulgaria to London,London to Newark,and then Newark to LA...Saxophonist Tom Scott,(who wrote the theme song to Starsky and Hutch if ya didn't know..and who featured me on 'Dont Get Any Better Than This' on his Night Creatures CD)who has been the music director for the EMMYs for a few years now,invited me to come check it out form behind the scenes! I was as excited as a kid in Toys R Us!

On the day of the awards telecast (live),my best friend Kim took me to meet Tom because the Shrine Auditorium and all surrounding streets were under heavy heavy security,and I needed to ride with him since of course he had ALL ACCESS!!!

We got to the stage door and walked right pass a table with about 35 Emmy Awards on it! The lady watching them wouldn't let me takle a picture.In fact,I really don't have alot opf pictures to show you because It wasn't that kind of thing from the "inside" if you know what I mean. There was a place where pictures were taken and it was all organized and being in'their ' world I didn't feel like it was cool to keep asking people to take a picture. I felt uncomfortable about picture taking,yet EVERYONE I met was extremely NICE!! Yeah,it shocked me to see that the people all over the tabloids were considerate and actually very sweet. I didn't meet one egomanic the whole evening.

So anyway,I went to get dressed in Toms dressing room,and as I walk down the hall,I passed dressing rooms for Donald Trump,Macy Gray, Gary Dourdan.....from CSI,etc..They were there to do The Emmy Idol contest.

After I got dressed Tom asked me if I wanted to see the control room,and I met the producers of the Emmy's ,very gracious very polite.

THEN!!
We went into the Architectural Digest green room,and
there was this lady sitting there with alot of papers,Tom knew her from when he did the Pat Sajak show or Chevy Chase show.I forget which one..he was the MD for both...anyway we spoke for a bit and then I look up and there was Teri Hatcher from Desperate Housewives!! And that when I discovered the lady in that room was the script lady and that I was in the PERFECT spot to see a hell of alot of people I watch on tv everyday.

In comes Quentin Tarrantino,Ben Affleck,theother Desperate Houswives...and it's funny..all these people spoke to me,not knowing who I was,and they all had this who are you? look on their faces! I was trippin!

I guess Tom saw that I was enjoying that spot so he went on to do some last minute stuff and when he came back ,there I was still grinning! I had such a ball!

Then we went to our seats and what an adventure that was..as we were walking,I saw so many people it was a trip.I can't even name all of them.But one person who stood out was Mathew St.Patrick who played Keith Charles on one of my favorite shows last year Six Feet Under.
That brother is so handsome.When he stopped to pass me I
looked right in his eyes and said "hello" and he said hello baby!! AAGAGGGAHHHA!!! Whew...my little moment with Mathew...and I just saw him on tv a few nights before fantasizing my ass off about him! Wow LA is alright after all! Too bad he's married..I would have jumped on hm for real!

Just before the show was over I went back to another green room and there was the actress who plays Karen on Will and Grace.Now she is one of my mothers favorite tv actors..she loves Nash Bridges ,Monk and Karen on Will and Grace.And most times if I hear my mother screaming <FONTFACE="ARIAL size="2" Black?>laughing it's because of something "Karen " has said on that show. So I asked her if she would call my mom and she took the phone and said "hello Laura,this is Megan Mullally.I play Karen on Will and Grace" and then the whole room heard my mother Screaming!! LOL That was fun. She told my mother that she must be beautiful because I was looking absolutely beautiful that night.!

It's funny,because I have spent all of my career worried about my weight because of "hollywoods" standards,and here I was in Hollywood at one of their biggest events and the main players in this game were calling me beautiful all night!
Surreal. Okay enough ego trippin.

So in to the room comes Carson from Queer Eye for a Straight guy and I started beaming again,because I had just been on the airplane from London laughing so hard at this episode where they try to transform this single dad,and Carson was so funny on that show i had to contain myself on the airplane ..and then here he comes walking in to the room along with Ellen the host of the show.

He walks over to where I was sitting and the other people introduced me and I told him about the episode(what a nerd I am sometimes..but what else do you say?),and he said that he's heard of Incognito,and I said well I wish I had time to go get my CD's for you and to my delight and surprise,he told me he was gonna follow me to the dressing room to get them!!So I took him to the room and gave him my CD's! Awesome fun.

So after the show,we went to the Govenors Ball.On the way in Tom said maysa let me introduce you to WHOOPI GOLDBERG!!!! She turned to me took my hands and said chile I have seen you somehwere before! I have heard you sing somewhere! And at that moment i told her what a big fan I was..I know everyone says that! But I didnt know what else to say....and after the fact I remembered that she may have seen the PSA that Jazz and I did for the March of Dimes that ran all of last year all over the states!
Anyway I gave her my CD's!!

LOL..Then I turn around and meet Barbara Hershey. I told her that another one of my best friends and I cried when we went to see Beaches!So we sat down at a beautiful table and Macy Gray came in and I had her call my neice and Nephew!! I had people working that night. I just wanted my family to enjoy the night with me.I had such a great time and everyone made me feel so welcome. At that moment,Tom asked me if I had seen Charles Dutton and I said no...then i went to get up to go to the ladies room and ran right into his arms! i said hey i'm Maysa from baltimore and he said hey what are you doing out here..and I told him how Tom invited me and we talked for a while.he told me someone had just sent my last CD to his house on his farm in Howard county,andthat he comes to Baltimore from time to time! He asked me to send my numbers and stuff to his agent,because neither one of us had a pen...have I don that yet?? No! I'll get Troy or Bernie on it this week.
All in all after Tom dropped me off at my girlfriends house felt like Cinderella before 12 midnight.Dag,I had a ball.

There's so much more I could tell you..but I can hardly stay awake and I better get on to some other stuff before I get too sleepy. I'm determined to finish this diary tonight.

Baltimore,even without a drop of publicity,I still had a ball with the 200+ of you that showed up at the gig the other night.
I'm so sorry I was hoarse,but I tried to do my best.
There was a DVD made,I gotta check it first.The Rams Head Live is a GREAT venue.I mean GREAT. I hope that Incognito does that place when we come here.I told Bluey's manager about it yesterday.

Come on over to Dimensions in Music tomorrow at 11 am to check out Will Downing promoting his new CD.I'm gonna go support and buy one myself.

I'll try to get these pictures to load tonight. If they don't I'll get my cable modem fixed tomorrow and do it then...
Let's thank Raymond,who is busy with his beautiful family and work,for fixing the site so I can do updates.
Thank you Raymond.

I'm toast y'all..I have been up all night helping one of my friends deliver her baby! I'm Auntie Maysa again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG  thanks Maysa for sharing your EMMY experience.

Anonymous said...

hey Maysa this is freedina9.  I love your commentary it is so REAL just said the way anyone would that had never Really seen a cerlebrity,but all the while being one in your VERY OWN RIGHT_AND BABY YOU ARE!!!!  I love your style and deliverance those vocals are simply out-of -sight GUUUURRRLLL!!!!I cannot wait for you to get to the states and esp NYC--I am a BRooklyn girl by way of The Bronx--Anyhow love all of your music and God has blessed you with some pipes don't loose too much weight it might change your sound -Not(smile)     Love  Lydia aka freedina9@aol.com

Anonymous said...

You said that you were hoarse at Rams Head Live??? Well maybe you should do more performances that way.  You were wonderful, as always!!!  Can't wait for you to return to B-More.

Dre T